Richard is a Partner and Head of the Business Risk and Regulation Team.
He advises and defends organisations in their dealings with regulatory bodies such as the HSE, the Environment Agency, Local Authorities, Food Standards, DEFRA etc.
During Richard's 15 year career as a regulatory lawyer he has been involved in a number of high profile cases including, most recently successfully defending a demolition company following a major explosion in Manchester. He also provides advice to industry on how effectively negotiate the regulatory landscape; for example he has advised on the development of Heathrow Airport's Terminal 5. His clients range from multinational corporations to small new start-ups.
Richard has developed a national reputation. He is now almost exclusively defendant focused, but he uses his prosecution experience to good effect to ensure that the most beneficial outcomes are achieved for his clients.
- Defending a multinational construction company following two incidents; one involving an amputation, the other a contamination incident.
- Advising a large London waste company on expansion of its activities and the environmental legal challenges.
- Advising a large demolition company in a corporate manslaughter investigation.
- Negotiating environmental undertakings for a company in response to the Environment Agencies civil sanctions regime.
- Advising a fast growing food company on mechanisms of regulatory compliance.