Michael is a Partner and Head of Private Client.
He specialises in acting for and advising landed estates and agricultural clients. He also advises on Inheritance Tax, Trust formation and on-going administration and the administration of complex estates including Business and Agricultural property as well as Heritage property and works of art. Michael acts as a Court of Protection Deputy for a number of clients with impaired capacity.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Michael was a Partner with Top 30 Law Firm Shoosmiths and prior to that, a Partner with Freeth Cartwright LLP.
- Acting in the administration of a complex Intestacy including applying to the Court for a Variation on behalf of a minor to incorporate an IHT saving arrangement.
- Advising substantial land-owners with mixed agricultural, engineering and commercial property letting activities on IHT planning under the so called 'Balfour' approach.
- Advising on a £40 million estate on IHT issues as part of a long-term succession strategy.
- Acting for a Sicilian born individual now lacking capacity in relation to managing her assets including Sicilian and Italian Properties/assets.
- Dealing with the estate of a UK domiciled individual with US based (excluded) trusts where domicile had changed since creation of the US Trusts.
- Complex Will drafting for the owner of a high value historical musical instrument which would, potentially, qualify for Heritage Relief from IHT.
Ashfords LLP Solidifies Expert Family Offering...
National law firm Ashfords LLP appoints new Partner, Zoe Porter, to head up the firm's Family Team. Zoe joins the...