Michael is a Partner and Head of Private Client.
He specialises in acting for and advising landed estates and agricultural clients. He also advises on Inheritance Tax, Trust formation and on-going administration and the administration of complex estates including Business and Agricultural property as well as Heritage property and works of art. Michael acts as a Court of Protection Deputy for a number of clients with impaired capacity.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Michael was a Partner with Top 30 Law Firm Shoosmiths and prior to that, a Partner with Freeth Cartwright LLP.
- Acting in the administration of a complex Intestacy including applying to the Court for a Variation on behalf of a minor to incorporate an IHT saving arrangement.
- Advising substantial land-owners with mixed agricultural, engineering and commercial property letting activities on IHT planning under the so called 'Balfour' approach.
- Advising on a £40 million estate on IHT issues as part of a long-term succession strategy.
- Acting for a Sicilian born individual now lacking capacity in relation to managing her assets including Sicilian and Italian Properties/assets.
- Dealing with the estate of a UK domiciled individual with US based (excluded) trusts where domicile had changed since creation of the US Trusts.
- Complex Will drafting for the owner of a high value historical musical instrument which would, potentially, qualify for Heritage Relief from IHT.