Mark is a Partner in the Projects Team.
He advises commercial clients across a variety of sectors including energy, waste and outsourcing. He works closely with the Construction Team on many projects, but has a wide experience of other requirements, including finance, operations, supply and shareholder issues and the needs of clients.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark trained with DLA Piper in the City and worked in Dubai and in Qatar for the same firm before joining Ashfords.
He is recognised as a leading figure in the technology field by both the Legal 500 and the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession and is praised for his "pragmatic legal advice" and ability to "understand clients' needs".
- Mark recently led a multi-disciplinary Ashfords' team acting for Ince Bio Power Limited, developing a new biomass gasification plant in Cheshire. The plant is the latest venture for project sponsors CoGen Limited and is backed by the newly formed energy investment platform Bioenergy Infrastructure Group. The team were principal legal advisors to the project advising on the whole transaction including, engineering, procurement and construction, real estate, operations and finance. When operational, the plant will generate 21.5MW of energy, providing power to 40,000 homes whilst diverting over 100,000 tonnes of waste wood from landfill each year.
- Advising O-GEN Plymtrek Limited in respect of the restructuring of the waste biomass gasification plant it owns.
- Advising the EPC Contractor in respect of the Gloucestershire Waste PPP. This included advising on both its contract with the SPV and on downstream subcontracts. The project related to the construction of an energy from waste plant for municipal waste.
- Advising Birmingham Bio Power Limited on the construction and operation of a new renewable energy facility (gasification using waste biomass). This included advising on and drafting the engineering and construction (EPC) contract based on the IChemE standard contract and a bespoke operation and maintenance contract. The project also involves a complex shareholding arrangement between a number of interested parties (particularly including international investors). Ashfords also advised on all corporate matters as well as on the timber supply agreement, off-take agreements, lease and land issues and procurement matters.
- Advising VINCI Construction UK Limited in respect of its provision of hard fm services at the Coventry hospitals. The advice has included both terms of the new contract being provided by the client in place of the outgoing provider and ongoing advice as required.
- Advising Welland Bio Power Limited (an SPV) on the construction and operation of a new renewable energy facility (gasification using waste biomass) in Leicestershire. This includes advising on and drafting the engineering and construction (EPC) contract which is based on the IChemE Red Book standard contract and a bespoke operation and maintenance contract.
- Advising VINCI Construction UK Limited and Mouchel Limited in respect of a property services joint venture related to the provision of property services to Lincolnshire County Council.