Mark is a Legal Director in the Projects Team.
He has worked in the Projects fields since 1998, both in-house and in private practice, and has advised on the closing of a large number of PFI/PPP projects.
Early in his career, Mark advised a large number of FM contractors and banks on the early PFI/ PPP deals.
In November 2000, he joined Balfour Beatty Investments in the role of Company Solicitor, and in 2007 was promoted to Associate Director, Legal. In that time Mark advised on the closing of over 25 PFI deals on the equity and subordinated finance documents.
He also advised on a wide range of issues on a large number of "operational" PFI/ PPP projects. These included day to day issues, and also large commercial disputes on construction and FM contracts in a wide variety of PFI sectors, from roads, to hospitals, to schools.
Mark has also acted as the lead on bidding PFI/ PPP projects, and has bid numerous roads and schools projects. He lead on a BSF schools project which involved the simultaneous close of 2 PFI and 3 D&B projects.
His experience in PFI, and various sectors, is wide ranging.
Mark has also worked as Compliance Officer in a large construction company, and undertook a nationwide lecture tour within that organisation on the importance of ethics and compliance within that business, and in the construction industry generally.
- Mark has advised on the corporate documentation on two anaerobic digestion plants in 2016. Mark has also advised in 2016 on the banking documents on a number of refinancings in the agricultural and property sectors, and has recently acted on two corporate acquisitions in the oil sector reviewing large, complex commercial contracts and advising on warranty protection.
- In 2015, Mark advised a major property group on the acquisition of shares in a group of companies specialising in anaerobic digestion plants in 2015, and also advised the Project SPV on the shareholders agreement, intercreditor, security and junior lending agreements on a £100m waste project.
- Mark has led on the equity closures on a large number of recent PFI/PPP deals in 2014, such as a hospital, the Olympic Park redevelopment, large relief road in Scotland and also in the waste to energy sector.
- Mark has advised Balfour Beatty on the construction and ICT contracts on project deals with Southwark Council for a total of 5 years on their procurement of BSF and other projects, such as leisure centres.
- Mark advised the consortium in a PFI project on the apportionment of liability between the construction and FM contractors on faulty back-up electrical generators in a hospital project.
- Mark advised Balfour Beatty on its investment in two London Underground Metronet refurbishment projects, both involving £70m of equity and subordinated debt investment. Mark worked full time on these deals for 2 years. Mark also lead on the drafting of the equity documents on the M25 refurbishment deal, taking the role from SPV's lawyers (a major City firm). Both Metronet and M25 are two of the largest transactions in the whole PFI/PPP sector since its inception. Mark has also advised on a large number of secondary market transactions in this sector, and has particular expertise on the drafting and operation of pre-emption procedures.