Kaya is a UK and European Patent Attorney and is Ashfords' Head of Patents.
He works with clients within the technology sector to identify and seek patent protection for their inventions. Kaya principally drafts patent specifications, but also manages patent portfolios, and advises on intellectual property strategy. He has a strong understanding of a wide range of technical fields, with specialisations in electronics, mechanical, and computer-implemented technologies.
Kaya has worked in private practice for over twelve years, with a variety of clients, ranging from SMEs to large corporate entities. He has significant expertise working with international clients especially from the US, European Union and Nordic Countries and enjoys working very closely with clients to understand not only their technology, but also their business and wider objectives.
Following a Masters degree in Computer Systems Engineering, Kaya started a career as a Patent Attorney in 2003. He is dual qualified as a UK (Chartered) and European Patent Attorney. Kaya is also an Examiner for one of the final exams that candidates in his profession must pass in order to become Chartered.
- Drafting patent specifications to augment the patent portfolio of a UK-based semiconductor design company, and facilitated its subsequent sale to a multinational telecommunication company.
- Advising on IP matters to support divestment of an innovative packaging business, including the deliverance of a "vendor due diligence" report on the client's intellectual property portfolio.
- Working with a client and their accountants to realise "patent box" tax relief.
- Drafting a suite of patent applications directed to a major multinational security company's wireless technology.
- Headed a hearing before the European Patent Office that led to grant of a patent concerning an amusement park ride for a US-based global entertainment company.