John is a Partner in the Trusts and Estates Team.
He specialises in Charity Law. John advises on whether or not an entity is charitable, assisting charities that wish to expand their activities to ensure that they do not have problems with the Charity Commission, advising existing charities on questions of governance and creating new charities either as incorporated entities and as trusts. John also advises and creates Community Interest Companies. John is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners ("STEP") and of the STEP Charities Special Interest Group.
- Advising a school in relation to their strategic options in terms of governance, with reference to their Memorandum and Articles of Association, and in consultation with the Charity Commission.
- Examining the Deeds of a charity and advising the Board how they could exercise their existing powers to achieve their objectives without the need to create a new charity with all its attendant costs.
- Creating a new Community Interest Company to allow a charity to have a trading arm.
- Advising a local authority on spinning off an activity into a newly created Community Interest Company.
- Helping a School to put in place an appropriate legal structure to expand into a new building.