Jeremy is a Senior Associate in the Business Risk & Regulation Department.
He is an experienced criminal litigator, regulatory lawyer and advocate. He advises clients on fraud (including Trading Standards), environmental, health & safety, motoring and other general criminal cases.
Jeremy advises local government departments, public utility companies and private clients, both companies and individuals. He both prosecutes and defends which gives him an advantage when advising clients bringing or facing prosecutions. He has a wide ranging and high profile practice.
He is recognised as a leader in the field of fraud, being ranked Tier 1 by Legal 500 2016. Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession also praises his "attention to detail" and comes highly recommended by clients.
- Successful prosecution of a number of "rogue traders", including where prison sentences have been imposed, for fraud and trading standards offences.
- We regularly prosecute a wide range of offences for a number of public utility companies and local authorities and have a wide range of contacts through various law enforcement agencies such as the Police and Trading Standards which we can utilise where necessary. An example of this work was the successful prosecution of the Somerset levels flooding case www.telegraph.co.uk/news/Somerset-Floods and www.bbc.co.uk/news/Somerset. This background has led to us bringing an increasing number of private prosecutions on behalf of individuals where we commence investigations, collate evidence and thereafter either prosecute or persuade the Police/CPS to take on cases.
- Defence of high profile fatality cases investigated by the police and Health & Safety Executive including advising on criminal liability and disaster management in the aftermath of a high profile multiple fatality road traffic collision on the M5; a company prosecuted following the death of a machine operator and a farm contractor following a fatality as a result of a rolling hay bale.
- Defence of high profile water pollution cases, including defending several companies prosecuted by the Environment Agency under the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2010 and the Water Industry Act 1991, including the successful defence of a farmer in a 3 day trial against the EA's "top" in house barrister over large scale commercial tipping on a farm; and where Jeremy has defended a Water Utility Company on numerous occasionswhere water courses have been polluted, including one prosecution following a 20,000 litre oil spill into rivers, and several others where there has been significant fish kill.
- Defence of numerous cases of causing death by dangerous or careless driving including the successful defence of a company director charged with using a vehicle in a dangerous condition following a fatal road accident involving an employee.