Giles is a Solicitor in the Commercial and Intellectual Property Team.
He has a broad range of experience in helping businesses identify, exploit and protect their intellectual property rights (copyright, trademarks, designs, passing off, patents and confidential information). Giles also advises clients on various types of business-to-business and business-to-consumer contracts.
- Advising the business behind a well-known children's author on the re-development of its website, including: drafting and negotiating the website development agreement between the client and the website development company; advising the client on data protection issues arising from the combination of various databases owned by the client and its associated entities; drafting terms and conditions of sale of goods and services to consumers; and drafting privacy and cookie policies to ensure the client's unique and complex data collection and processing activities comply with data protection legislation.
- Advising Schlumberger Oilfield UK PLC on the intellectual property aspects of its acquisition of Rock Deformation Research Limited ("RDR") from the University of Leeds, IP Group plc and a number of academics, including carrying out due diligence into RDR's intellectual property portfolio and drafting/negotiating intellectual property warranties in the share purchase agreement and other completion documentation.
- Advising the shareholders of Smirthwaite Limited on the intellectual property and IT aspects of the sale of the entire issued share capital of the business, including responding to due diligence enquiries in relation to Smirthwaite's IP portfolio and IT systems and the negotiation of intellectual property and IT warranties and accompanying disclosures in the share sale agreements.
- Advising the business behind an internationally renowned brand of designer footwear, in connection with a number of claims against competing international retailers of fashion wear in respect of the infringement of our client's shoe designs.
- Seconded to Flybe Limited, where he assisted their in-house counsel and advised various departments of the airline in respect of the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of commercial, intellectual property and information technology contracts.
- Part of the Ashfords team representing a leading financial services mutual society in bringing in the High Court registered trade mark and passing off legal proceedings against a rival business.
Giles was very commercial in his approach and became a valued member of the in-house legal team during his secondment to Flybe.
Annelie Carver, General Legal Counsel, Flybe plc