Duncan is a Director in the Real Estate Team, specialising in Planning.
He has recently joined Ashfords, having spent 17 years working for Teignbridge District Council. The last three years of which as the Solicitor to the Council. Duncan was also Deputy Monitoring Officer from 2007. His work for the Council encompassed a broad range of subject areas including governance, licensing, housing, environmental health, contracts and property.However the largest element of his practice was planning law.
He advised the Council's Planning Committee for over ten years and advised Planning Officers and Members in relation to all elements of the Council's planning function, particularly in the formulation of the Local Plan, consideration of applications, appeals and enforcement.
- Advising the Council on the impact of development on the internationally recognised Dawlish Warren Special Area of Conservation and the Exe Estuary Special Area of Protection, including the creation of Suitable Alternative Natural Green Spaces.
- Advising the Council on issues relating to the Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Successfully defended a challenge in the High Court and Court of Appeal to the adoption of the Council's Local Plan made by a Parish Council under Section 113 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 reported as Abbotskerswell Parish Council-v-Teignbridge District Council, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (2014).
- Successfully defended a Judicial Review claim against the grant of a planning permission for a large residential development, brought by a nature conservation charity reported as R(oao Devon Wildlife Trust)-v-Teignbridge DC (2015).
- Provided the legal support to the Council in establishing the first authorised traveller site in the country, working with the County Council, Teign Housing Association, the Homes and Community Agency and local parish councils. This also required taking eviction proceedings against some residents of the neighbouring unauthorised site.
- Provided and co-ordinated legal support for the creation of Strata, a joint local authority company owned by Exeter City Council, East Devon District Council and Teignbridge District Council which provides ICT services to those councils.