Charles is a Partner in the Employment Team.
He is recognised for his ability to deliver pragmatic and commercial advice to clients on all aspects of employment law, including TUPE issues and all issues arising in employment relationships.
He works with a wide range of clients, including international software and manufacturing companies, investment houses, utility companies and local authorities, on all kinds of employment and HR issues. He has a specific expertise in dealing with TUPE issues on service outsourcing and business sales, the preparation of Service Agreements for Directors and senior employees, collective redundancies and exit packages and Settlement Agreements.
Charles is recognised as a leading figure in the employment field by both the Legal 500 and the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession, where he is praised for his "pragmatic approach to business" and his ability to "jargon-bust the law, putting it in layman's terms and translating it into a context that [clients] can understand."
- Advising Patron Capital on all employment aspects of the disposal by major Private Equity Fund of its entire investment in a national luxury care homes business, including termination and retention packages of key employees and consultants.
- Advising international pharmaceutical company Mylan on all UK TUPE and collective consultation aspects of the outsourcing of its logistics arrangements (warehouse and delivery services) to an external new provider, operating a significant distance from the client's current facilities, including advice on the TUPE and collective redundancy consultation processes and the relationship between the two, and drafting, negotiating and agreeing TUPE entry and exit provisions in the Services Contract.
- Advising Generator Hostels Limited on a wide variety of high-level employment issues, including Service Agreements and termination packages for senior employees and the terms of appointment of a Creative Director.
- Working with Mendip District Council to help resolve TUPE and pensions concerns relating to the leasing and commissioning of five leisure facilities to a private sector partner.
- Sole external employment law adviser to Sandwell MBC, covering a variety of work including advice on a complex grievance and advising and supporting the Appeals Manager in a sensitive disciplinary process.
- Advising international software house Enghouse on a variety of HR and employment issues, including complex contractual and redundancy issues.