Charles is a Partner and Head of the Marine Team.
He specialises primarily in Marine and Transport related matters (including aviation) and is particularly skilled and experienced in "wet" casualty work; he also has extensive experience in "dry" work in charterparty and related disputes.
Charles acts for and advises major financial institutions on financial issues - in particular international banks, major insurers, insurance brokers, loss adjusters and average adjusters in respect of contractual and tortious claims.
- Advising a major international bank in the repossession and subsequent sale and purchase (through the Admiralty Court) of a fleet of vessels value at over €10million. Dealing with all issues on behalf of the bank and advising sellers on all issues involved.
- Advising third party interests arising out of the "Napoli" grounding on the south coast of Devon in 2007; dealing with all issues through to the Admiralty Court hearing and protecting substantial interest accordingly.
- Acting for the pilot of "The Sea Empress" involved in a 70,000 metric tonne spill in Milford Haven and ensuring that all issues were dealt with arising out of owners and/or charterers allegations.
- Acting for major fishing industry organisation (e.g. North Devon Fisherman Association) and concluding matters with RWE nPower in respect of a £10 billion windfarm development.
- Acting for a UK shipping company in the financing and purchase of three 5,000 tonne vessels to the value of €5.5 million.
- Advising clients on shipbuilding contracts worth in excess of €50 million primarily for super yachts and built in either North West Europe or Taiwan (Far East).