Alan is a Partner in the Restructuring and Insolvency Team.
He advises insolvency practitioners, directors, lenders and individuals on a range of insolvency issues including antecedent transactions, sale and purchase of insolvent businesses, advice on COMI including switching COMI, recognition of foreign insolvency proceedings, restructuring and advice to corporates facing financial difficulties.
Alan is a recognised leading figure in the insolvency field, with a specific reputation for cross border insolvency. He advises clients on all aspects of insolvency both contentious and non-contentious.
He has been described as a "very good contentious insolvency lawyer" and is praised for his "good commercial sense" and his "practical approach to disputes" by both the Legal 500 and the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession.
- Acting for a client considering a CVA. Ultimately restructuring the Company's borrowing, workforce, shift pattern, debt collection and contract terms, ensuring on-going trade without the need for an insolvency process.
- Advising creditors on options available to them following the presentation of bankruptcy petitions by so called "bankruptcy tourists".
- Acting for the Buyer of an insolvent haulage company acquiring the business and assets from Joint Administrators. Dealing with security, licensing and third party asset issues.
- Advising an overseas company on moving its COMI/obtaining a letter of request to enable it to be placed into Administration in England and its assets realised.
- Acting for the board of directors of a group of companies whose main trading entity was insolvent. Ensuring a smooth transition of the trading entity as a going concern to a third party Buyer and advising on security, retention of title, employee and landlord issues. Also advising the directors on how best to discharge their duties as directors.
- Acting for a Trustee in Bankruptcy in relation to antecedent transaction litigation overturning a purported transfer of the Bankrupt's interest to his wife and security to third parties resulting in a significant dividend to creditors.