Government Designates National Policy Statements for Energy InfrastructureThursday 28th July 2011
On 19 July 2011, following approval by the House of Commons on the previous day, the Government designated its finalised National Policy Statements ("NPS"s) for energy infrastructure under the Planning Act 2008.
An overarching energy NPS, which sets out the Government’s policy for delivering major energy infrastructure, is accompanied by five sector-specific NPSs:
- Fossil Fuel Electricity Generating Infrastructure;
- Renewable Energy Infrastructure;
- Gas Supply Infrastructure & Gas and Oil Pipelines;
- Electricity Networks Infrastructure; and
- Nuclear Power Generation.
Applicants for new energy infrastructure projects should ensure that their applications and supporting documentation are in line with the overarching NPS, the relevant technology-specific NPS and any other NPSs that may be relevant.