We specialise in assisting individuals, businesses, charities and public sector bodies in protecting, defending and exploiting their inventions, ideas, designs, creative works, trade marks and brands, both in the UK and overseas, so that they can benefit from their own work and investment.
Our experience covers a very wide range of different industries and sectors. We are recognised as having particular expertise in international trade mark portfolio management, intellectual property transactional work, technology sector work and intellectual property disputes.
We provide commercially sound advice, delivering commonsense as well as technical expertise. Our approach is straightforward: "Our clients' interests are our interests". This runs though everything we do.
- Brands and Trade Marks
- Designs and Inventions
- Intellectual Property Audits
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Intellectual Property Agreements and Transactions
- Managing the world wide trade mark portfolios of two famous fragrance houses. This includes clearing, filing, prosecuting, renewing, defending and enforcing hundreds of trade marks across the globe.
- Negotiating a world-wide trade mark co-existence agreement between a famous clothing designer and a third party business using a similar trade mark.
- Acting for one of the world's leading generic pharmaceutical companies in respect of Court proceedings concerning a contractual dispute relating to a pharmaceutical licensing and supply agreement.
- Drafting complex IP licensing and supply arrangements for a University, in respect of certain lactic acid bacteria technology.
- Advising a manufacturer and supplier of foodstuffs as to whether the manufacturing process for a new product line infringes patent rights belonging to a third party and whether such rights are valid.
- Acting for a client in respect of an overseas intellectual property dispute between the client, an international distributor of the client's products and a world famous sporting team and their world famous marketing agents.
I appreciate Ashfords' personalised and fast service. Their ability to answer questions and solve matters wherever in the world we need them, is key for our industry
Need To Know: Protecting your pitch
Ashfords' Chairman Mark Lomas, Head of IP Law and part of Ashfords Technology Sector Group, discusses in TechSPARK, when pitching an idea to potential investors, and business partners what are the best ways to protect your idea.Read more
Eat, Drink, Innovate and Protect
Carl Steele, partner in the IP Team, discusses the results and findings from the IP awareness survey carried out by the IP Team on the South West food and drink sector.Read more
Designs and Inventions
We understand how important it is to protect your designs and inventions. Our specialist team can guide you through the process of securing and maintaining protection for your valuable work.Read more
Intellectual Property Disputes
We specialise in advising clients on enforcing, protecting and defending their intellectual property rights, in whatever form they may take. In particular, we have a significant amount of experience in handling brand and trade mark disputes.Read more
Intellectual Property Audits
Understanding what intellectual property you use, who owns it, how to protect it, the risks faced by using it and what you can do with it is important to the running any modern business. Our team can help you with this process. Similarly, we can help you to identify and risk assess the intellectual property owned and used by a business that you wish to buy or invest in.Read more
Our IT lawyers have a strong understanding of the sector and the commercial issues surrounding it. We work with a wide variety of clients to ensure IT projects are properly managed and contractual requirements are reflected. A number of our lawyers have spent much of their careers in the IT sector and so are able to offer pragmatic, cost-effective solutions for any project.Read more
Intellectual Property Agreements and Transactions
We specialise in drafting intellectual property related agreements and advising clients engaged in transactions that involve intellectual property rights.Read more
Brands and Trade Marks
Our expert Brand Protection Team is here to ensure you make the right choice when choosing, securing, maintaining, exploiting and enforcing your brands and trade marks.Read more
Data Protection and Privacy
Our Data Protection and Privacy Team work closely with our clients to help them balance their compliance obligations with their commercial objectives.Read more
Meet the team
- Advantages and Disadvantages of National Community and International Madrid Protocol Trade Mark Filings
- Brands a Basic Guide
- Domain Name Dispute Resolution
- Options for Clearance Searches
- Registering a Community Trade Mark
- Registering a UK Trade Mark
- Registering an International Trade Mark
- Trade Mark Watching Services