Disputed wills, trusts and probate
Our Disputed Wills, Trusts and Probate Team specialises in advising on all matters arising out of contentious wills, probate, trusts and estates, and also on contentious Court of Protection matters. The team work closely with a number of our specialist departments across the firm including our highly regarded Wills, Trusts and Estates Team to provide a comprehensive service to our clients, who include charities and corporate trustees as well as private individuals.
The team adopts a commercial and pragmatic approach to disputes and has extensive experience of resolving disputes by mediation and other forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution. All senior lawyers in the team are members of ACTAPS (the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists) and Robert Horsey is also an associate member of STEP (the Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners).
- Representing minor residuary beneficiaries in a claim bought against their late father's multimillion pound estate by his widow under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Advising on a claim against trustees of a significant family trust for mismanagement of trust funds
- Making an application to Court, on behalf of minor children, for the Court's approval of a variation of the trusts created under the Intestacy Rules which resulted in substantial Inheritance Tax savings for the estate
- Advising the Trustees of a charity in respect of the re-negotiation of multiple service level agreements
- Successfully defending a "deathbed gift" (Donatio Mortis Causa) claim against an estate
- Assisting with an investigation by the Office of Public Guardian against an attorney appointed by a Power of Attorney
- Advising in connection with a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 in respect of a net estate valued in excess of £15 million