Chemical or Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

We are exposed to a number of chemicals in our day to day lives and it is not unusual to suffer a reaction to these chemicals from time to time.

If however you have suffered from chemical poisoning due to another person's negligence, then it is possible to make a personal injury compensation claim for the pain and suffering you have endured.

If you or anyone you know has been injured or contracted an illness or disease as a direct result of coming into contact with a dangerous chemical, you should contact a lawyer for some claim advice. It is important that you keep any evidence you may have which confirms how you were exposed to the chemical and ensure that when you visit your GP/Hospital for treatment you mention all the circumstances to your doctor.

Providing it can be proven that your injury was caused by your exposure to a hazardous substance and the person/company who allowed you to come into contact with the chemical was negligent then your claim for compensation should be valid.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A claim for compensation could be made if you have been exposed to carbon monoxide due to the fault or negligence of someone else. Due to the seriousness of carbon monoxide poisoning, claiming for compensation is justified if you’ve been hospitalised, taken time off work or lost your job due to the poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as ‘the silent killer’, due to it being odourless and colourless. It is therefore most likely that you won’t know carbon monoxide is there until you started suffering the side effects of inhaling it.

Every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths.

A headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:

  • Dizziness.
  • Nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting.
  • Tiredness and confusion.
  • Stomach pain.
  • Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.

It's very important to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and to look out for warning signs.

You should suspect carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Other people in your house, flat or workplace fall ill with similar symptoms.
  • Your symptoms disappear when you go away (for example, on holiday) and return when you come back.
  • Your symptoms tend to be seasonal – for example, you get headaches more often during the winter when the central heating is used more frequently.
  • Your pets also become ill.

What to do if you suspect a leak?

If several people in the same building develop flu-like symptoms without a temperature, and you think it could be linked to a carbon monoxide leak, you should:

  • Immediately stop using all your cooking and heating appliances that use fuel other than electricity.
  • Open all of the windows in your house or building.
  • Move away from the source of the carbon monoxide.
  • Call the HSE Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363 for advice.
  • Visit your GP as soon as possible.

Helpful links

Health & Safety Executive (HSE) - free and impartial advice on occupational safety and health
NHS advice on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - click here.
BBC article: New warnings over carbon monoxide poisoning over summer months - click here

Ashfords' Personal Injury Team has extensive experience in all areas of personal injury claims work. If you would like to discuss a personal injury claim and the funding options available to you, please contact Gemma Rowe on 01392 334017 for a free, no obligation chat.

Key Contact

Gemma Rowe

Chartered Legal Executive

[javascript protected email address]
+44 (0)1392 334017


Get in touch

Please complete the form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your enquiry. One of our team members will be in contact with you shortly.