Business Risk & Regulation
The team is able to offer a high quality and pragmatic service. Providing clients with significant experience covering a wide range of disciplines with a wealth of experience of dealing with the most serious cases.
The department is led by Richard Voke, who has a wealth of industrial experience both before and after becoming a solicitor - he is a leader in his field. Richard's team includes Jeremy Asher, an Associate who has extensive practical and procedural expertise.
Richard can offer comprehensive legal risk and liability assessments in both Health & Safety and Environment; examples include advice on legal risk and liability management during the construction of Terminal 5 at Heathrow, and advising a National Construction Group on liability matters after the defence of an Environment Agency prosecution. He has defended many prosecutions brought by the Health & Safety Executive, Environment Agency and Local Authorities. Richard's most recent high profile case was successfully defending a demolition contractor at trial against a HSE prosecution following a nationally reported explosion in a major city.
Jeremy represents a small but select number of local authorities and public utility companies in both a defense and prosecution role. As a result, he has been able to turn his experience to great advantage in a number of high profile Health & Safety and Environmental cases, as well as offering expertise in relation to VOSA and wider Licensing issues. Jeremy's most recent high profile case was defending the manufacturer of a faulty industrial tool which claimed the life of a worker.
- Defending a multinational construction company following two incidents; one involving an amputation, the other a contamination incident
- Advising a large London waste company on expansion of its activities and the environmental legal challenges
- Advising a large demolition company in a corporate manslaughter investigation
- Negotiating environmental undertakings for a company in response to the Environment Agencies civil sanctions regime
- Presenting for an hour at the annual Bristol and West IOSH legal conference with 200 delegates
- Advising a fast growing food company on mechanisms of regulatory compliance.