Professional advisors are often trusted to advise and assist on the most delicate and complex of tasks. If such advice proves to be incorrect the results can be disastrous for a client. A mistake can leave a client with a costly problem that needs rectifying at a time when their trust in the profession that they instructed is at an all-time low.
Ashfords have a considerable experience of acting in respect of professional negligence claims both on behalf of claimant and defendants.
The depth of our experience puts clients at ease and helps them through the process of either pursuing a claim or defending a claim.
We advocate the benefits of dealing with Alternative Dispute Resolution, including Mediation, in order to resolve a dispute. We also have a detailed understanding of the alternative avenues for recompense including dealing with complaints, and making and defending complaints to the relevant professional Ombudsman.
We take a commercial and pragmatic approach and aim to deal with cases as swiftly and cost effectively as possible. Most of all we aim to get results for our clients.
- Solicitors' negligence
- Property related negligence
- Surveyors' negligence
- Construction negligence (architects, engineers and project managers)
- Accountants’ and Financial advisors’ negligence
- Complaints handing
- Complaints to the relevant Ombudsman
- Complaints to the relevant professional bodies
- Trouble shooting and putting things right!
- Veterinary negligence
- Settling a claim on behalf of a landlord against a former partner in a law firm in relation to a lease that failed to include a forfeiture provision.
- Settling a claim on behalf of a client in relation to an overage agreement that failed to protect the client's interests.
- Obtaining an injunction to force a seller to discharge a mortgage enabling a client's title to be registered following a sale. The client's former solicitors were purseud for negligence which resulted in the mortgage being discharged, the costs being paid by the former solicitors, a successful claim to the SRA and a further compensatory award to the client.
- Rectifying property titles, plans and leases.
- Advising in relation to allegations of negligence in relation to advice provided by surveyors.
- Acting for a developer in relation to construction projects in the leisure sector where there had been a negligent structural engineer design which brought the construction to a halt. A multi million pound settlement was achieved.
- Acting for claims against Accountants, Brokers and Financial advisors relating to miss-selling of products.
- Acting for an owner of a race horse in a claim against two veterinary surgeons who conducted a pre-sale 5-stage examination of a valuable racehorse.
- Acting for leading clearing banks in claims against solicitors and valuers in respect of property secured against advances to borrowers.
Don't undervalue your advice
It was Ralph Emerson who once wrote that "it is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.” This sentiment may not have changed in the 150 years since Emmerson penned those words. However, it is worth being aware that the law can be unforgiving towards those who provide mistaken (albeit informal) advice.Read more