Fraud and Business Crime
We represent clients charged with a range of offences under the Fraud Act and other associated legislation, including Money Laundering under the Proceeds of Crime Act.
Headed by fraud specialist Jeremy Asher, the team has gained an increasingly high profile and reputation in the area of fraud, and is regarded by clients and peers as a leading individual in his field.
Jeremy Asher is a leading expert in European Distribution Fraud and has assisted several victims in their quest to recover their property through the criminal justice system and works closely with the commercial litigation and dispute resolution teams. In this respect Jeremy is able to put his experience of prosecuting for local authorities to good effect, having built up extensive contacts in various law enforcement agencies over many years and having a thorough understanding of how to build a criminal case.
- Money Laundering
- Company Director offences prosecuted by the Department for Business Integration & Skills
- Trading Standards
- Victims of Crime
- Road Traffic
- Trading Standards
- Persuaded the CPS to offer no evidence against a doctor charged with defrauding the NHS
- Successful defence of a company director accused of fraud against his business worth £250,000
- Successful defence of a company director charges with £6 million fraud, persuaded the prosecution to offer no evidence
- Defence of a company secretary charged with stealing £100,000 from his employer
- Defence of several cases brought under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 in the Crown Court (sums of £350,000; £150,000; £100,000; £45,000 etc) including Restraint Orders and Confiscation Orders
- Defence of companies under investigation from HMRC including successfully persuading HMRC to take no action against a business that had failed to obtain an Export Licence for sonar equipment that found its way onto a foreign nuclear submarine saving the company £60,000 in potential penalties
Head of Ashfords LLP's crime department Jeremy Asher comes highly recommended by clients, who highlight his "attention to detail" and concern for the client. Handling advocacy himself, his criminal practice covers a broad range of crime and regulatory matters.
European Distribution Fraud explained
Ashfords Jeremy Asher looks at what is involved with European Distribution Fraud and what can be done by businesses to protect against it in Growth Business Online.Read more
We represent clients at Courts across the country who are charged with road traffic offences covering the full range of offences from death by dangerous or careless driving through to speeding, driving without due care & attention, driving with excess alcohol or without insurance. We regularly put forward "special reasons" and "exceptional hardship" applications to avoid disqualification.Read more
Ashfords' Crime Team have considerable expertise in representing clients charged with a wide range of offences before the Magistrates' and Crown Courts.Read more