We have a strong team of lawyers to advise businesses in the Rural and Agricultural Sector in relation to all aspects of running their commercial operations, in particular on legal and regulatory issues surrounding farm management, agricultural business and diversification. We also advise landed estates and owners of agricultural enterprises in relation to wealth management, succession planning and their personal affairs. With offices in Exeter, Tiverton, Taunton, Plymouth, Bristol and London we are able to provide a national service.
We are committed to providing you with the very best advice which is relevant to you and your objectives. Our team draws on expertise and knowledge within the firm from across a number of disciplines including corporate and commercial, property, trusts & estates, planning, construction & engineering, financing, employment, environmental and health & safety.
We have an excellent track record in working with a diverse range of businesses including agricultural land owners, tenant farmers, feedstock suppliers and retail & leisure operators, helping those clients to realise the full potential of their commercial opportunities.
- Purchase of a farm and the refinancing of the home farm, advising on matters such as lotting, third party rights, disputed easements, partnership and future development issues, with a capital value of approximately £3m.
- Advising a business on the expansion of its farm shop hut to a nationally recognised and award-winning “food hub” and retail outlet with on-site butcher, fishmonger, baker, deli, restaurant and retail units.
- Dealing with all aspects of the sale of an historic Victorian Country House estate with agricultural land.
- Acting for a land owner in the grant of a lease of sporting rights on an Estate with a value of £750,000.
- Dealing with the purchase of agricultural land in Somerset with a value of over £2m.
- Advising a poultry farmer on the purchase of a biomass boiler system under which the technology provider undertakes to design, fund and install the installation attached to poultry sheds (with back-up supply), in order to increase profitability through a reduction in the costs of fuel and feed.
The lawyers are very practical, which is very helpful in the specialised nature of farm sales. They provide an excellent level of service. They keep in contact, provide a practical application of the law and get the job done in a suitable time frame.
Chambers and Partners 2016
Farm Business Innovation Show 2016
Ashfords is delighted to announce that the HSE and Agriculture Sector Teams will be exhibiting at the Farm Business Innovation Show on 9 - 10 November at the Birmingham NEC alongside our strategic partner, CTSI.Read more
All tied up? Section 106 Agreements Preventing Disposal of Agricultural Holdings unless Sold as a Whole
There has been a recent shift in the Government's approach to agricultural ties. Where it was previously acceptable for Local Planning Authorities ("LPA") to impose planning obligations which restricted the sale of agricultural holdings, unless otherwise disposed as a whole, this may no longer be required. New tests and guidance may make a development acceptable in planning terms.Read more
Farm Safety Week highlights the importance of Health & Safety
The fourth annual Farm Safety Week was launched this week with the poignant tag-line “Who will fill your boots?” Further details on the campaign and the Farm Safety Foundation are available via the Farm Safety Partnership’s website.Read more
Don't neglect planning for your farm's future
Tom Biddick, associate in the Trusts and Estates Team, discusses the financial, regulatory and time pressures facing farmers.Read more
Ashfords LLP announced as proud sponsors of the Mid Devon Show Members' Marquee
National law firm Ashfords LLP is proud to announce their sponsorship of this year's Members' Marquee at the Mid Devon Show.Read more
South West hospitality businesses at risk while agriculture goes from strength to strength
Over a third of South West pubs (33%) and restaurants (38.4%) are at heightened risk of insolvency in the next 12 months, according to research by R3, the insolvency trade body.Read more
Farm Business Innovation Show 2015
Ashfords is delighted to announce that the Agriculture Sector Team will be exhibiting at the Farm Business Innovation Show on 11 - 12 November at the Birmingham NEC.Read more